Capela Du Monde, Old Goa
The Chapel of Our Lady of the Mount is situated on top of the hill behind the St. Cajetan Church. The chapel was built in 1510 by Alfonso de Albuquerque after his victory over the Goan Muslim ruler Yusuf Shah and was renovated in 2001.
The structure faces west which provides beautiful views from Divar and Chorao islands, the Mandovi River and the surrounding forested hills, especially during sunset. It also offers the overview of Old Goa where in 1510 Sultan Adil Shah’s placed his artillery to defend the city from the Portuguese assault. Notice the colonnade with the sloping roof is absent in the recent photograph.
Old Photograph obtained from Ar. Ketak Nachinolkar
Recent Photograph by Tuzk-e-Hind, 2014